Cleaning your apartment doesn’t have to suck for the planet.
When you opt to make your own all natural DIY cleaning products,,without harsh chemicals, you end up with products that are healthier for you and kinder to the environment.
Next time you see some dust bunnies build up along on the baseboard or soap scum in the bathtub, look at the natural all purpose cleaning products you probably already have in your cupboards like baking soda and vinegar — to name a couple.
Here are some of my tried-and-true favourite homemade multipurpose sprays and surface cleaners, and how to make them:
● For DIY cleaning products like an all-purpose cleaner, use a half and half mix of water and white vinegar. Vinegar is an excellent way to clean grease and other smudges from countertops, chrome and floors. It will also get your windows and mirrors sparkling.
● To get your oven shining, sprinkle it with baking soda, spray with water and leave it for 12 hours. Respray with water every few hours and then get scrubbing until it’s spotless. The grease will easily flake away.
● Remove grease stains, wipe windows and mirrors, and clean mucky sinks with juice from one fresh lemon and a cup of warm water.
● Either vegetable oil or lemon oil will work wonders to polish your furniture.
● Instead of using harmful air fresheners, get your home smelling fresh by simmering a lemon, cinnamon oil, or your favourite herbs and spices on the stove for a few minutes.
● Instead of fabric softener, try tossing 1 cup of white vinegar into the rinse cycle of your laundry to soften clothes, eliminate odours and lift lingering detergent.
Besides making your own cleaning products with natural ingredients, there is a growing number of eco-friendly cleaning products on the market. My particular favourites include Tru Earth Eco-Strips for laundry and for dishes, the 300g block of traditional Marseille soap from Juniper in Saint John, NB. I purchased this multi-purpose soap in June for $12 and while I wash dishes daily; I have yet to use up even half. Talk about money savings!
Do you have any favourite DIY cleaning products, or all natural cleaners you’d like to share? Please tell us about it in the comments below!